For many companies, the time has come to migrate to SAP S/4HANA. Perhaps not so much because the maintenance contract of the current SAP ECC system expires in a few years, but the business needs of today and tomorrow are supported more manageable and better by SAP S/4HANA Cloud than the old customized SAP ECC environment.
SAP S/4HANA is described as the Intelligent ERP version and will soon become the core of the Intelligent & Integrated Enterprise. TODAY, your ERP solution needs to do more than a transaction system to process orders, schedules, inventories, and financial transactions. The intelligent ERP goes a step further with automation based on Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Robotic Process Automation, and the ability to predict and anticipate future developments. RISE with SAP realizes these developments, and it starts with the choice of the SAP S/4HANA environment.
SAP S/4HANA Cloud deployment models: Public and Private Edition
The question is not whether ERP will move to the Cloud but how your ERP will work from the Cloud. The significant advantage of Cloud is the easiness of changes due to the simple on-off capabilities without installation effort.
Deploying Cloud ERP solutions also has its limitations in maintenance and management if companies want to continue doing this management. Fortunately, there are two options: Public and the Private Edition. While SAP is fully managing the Public Edition, your staff and SAP control the Private Edition.
SAP S/4HANA Cloud Public Edition
- A complete, modern SaaS ERP solution with full public cloud benefits
- The fastest way to innovation and the lowest TCO
- A pure Cloud ERP solution without converting legacy/legacy ERP processes and configurations
- Redesign business processes and benefit from standardized Best Practices focused on the present and future
SAP S/4HANA Cloud Private Edition
- Rapid conversion of an existing SAP ERP/ECC environments to modern, Cloud-based architecture;
- Full Enterprise Management scope as subscription and low TCO of cloud economics;
- Possibility for Perpetual license purchase option (BYOL);
- Define your own pace for the setup of SaaS landscape;
- Complete, comprehensive ERP functionality including partner Add- ons with the ability to expand and enhance
The answer to the questions below will clarify to what extent a transition to SAP S/4HANA will make sense for your organization.
- What benefits will SAP S/4HANA bring to our Business?
- What will be the cost of deploying the SAP S/4HANA Cloud Public or Private Edition?
- Which deployment model fits my organization best: Public or Private Cloud?
The objective of the SAP S/4HANA Assessment is to answer these questions and then make the proper preparations to further implement the RISE with SAP transformation program. It is also essential to know how SAP S/4HANA works alongside any existing ERP systems:
- Do you want to start with a completely new SAP S/4HANA Cloud?
- Do you want to spin off a business unit to a new SAP S/4HANA Cloud environment?
- Do you want to migrate your existing SAP ECC to SAP S/4HANA Cloud?
- Do you want to extend your existing ERP with an SAP S/4HANA Cloud?
The choice of SAP S/4HANA starts the deployment of the Intelligent Enterprise – consisting of the Intelligent Suite, Business Technology Platform, and the integration with Business Network and other (non-)SAP applications. Building your Intelligent Enterprise is the transformation that RISE with SAP stands for.
Selecting your migration path to SAP S/4HANA Cloud
The choice of migration path depends on business-related factors such as:
- Do the current processes, currently supported by SAP ECC, fit the desired business model?
- What impact do recent mergers and acquisitions have on your current operation of the SAP ERP system? It may be desirable to consolidate the SAP system, harmonize it or split it according to the business model into different Cloud tenants.
The need for harmonization, standardization defines the appropriate way of migration path: Greenfield, Brownfield, or a variant thereof.
Brownfield Migration: This is a technical upgrade from SAP ECC, followed by a project to take advantage of most S/4HANA benefits.
Greenfield Migration: This is an entirely new installation, clean, but also without history. This option is only applicable with SAP S/4HANA Cloud Public Edition.
Shell Creation: Make a copy of SAP ECC, including the customization and upgrade of this system to SAP S/4HANA, then follow a migration with migration cockpit of SAP or external tools.
Mix & Match: Start with a “clean” S/4HANA system and copy the necessary customization. Next, use the migration cockpit from SAP or external tools for the migration of data.
The outline of the Scheer SAP S/4HANA assessment
The duration of a Scheer SAP S/4HANA Assessment is between 1 or 3 months. The duration is determined by the scope of the project, the available knowledge of the current and desired environment with respect to end-to-end processes, the customization, and the required integrations to be explored.
In our assessment, we start with a Strategy Assessment, followed by the Walk-through Workshops, after which the Fit to Standard Workshops take place to compose the Road Map.
The advantage of an SAP S/4HANA Assessment is collecting the necessary data and the involvement of your staff, which will speed up the implementation of RISE with SAP significantly. The following occurs during the Assessment:
- Employees gain more insight and knowledge around SAP S/4HANA through the various demos;
- Both current and future processes become clearer through the interactive workshops around Industry Best Practices;
- A better understanding of integrations between modules and applications is created.
The elaboration of the SAP S/4HANA Assessment will also help to make the following choices for the compilation of the Road Map:
- Deployment of SAP S/4HANA Cloud Public or the Private Edition;
- Design of sub- and follow-on projects;
- In what way can new developments within SAP S/4HANA be deployed within the processes. Think of additional automations based on AI/ML/RPA;
- Necessary deployment of additional tools.
View the replay of the webinar special to get a detailed picture of our SAP S/4HANA Assessment.
What will RISE with SAP mean for your organization?
Please meet with our experts and gain insight into the RISE with SAP options for your specific business case.
Additional Information on RISE with SAP